Where do I get hair extensions in Johannesburg or Pretoria?
Q & A
Contact Hair Extension Experts. One of our certified hair extension technicians will travel to your home or office to install one of our globally recognised hair extension systems. We also have a network of hair salons that use our products and we are happy to refer you to your nearest salon.
Tape Hair Extensions: This is the newest Hair Extension system on the market and we recommend it for most of our clients. It does not damage your own hair, it is lightweight and comfortable to wear. It looks completely natural as it is does not take on a stringy apprearance and can be re-used. It is excellent for fine hair specifically but can be used for most others as well. This system is not recommended for clients who have very oily hair or if their own hair is shorter than 15 cm in any area.
Micro-Ring Hair Extensions: This system involves pliers being used to fasten a small metal ring to secure a pre-bonded hair extension to your own hair. On average, 100-200 strands are fastened to your own hair in this manner. When correctly installed, this system will not cause damage to your own hair. It is therefore important to have this system installed by an accredited technician who uses a high quality metal ring that will not damage your hair. This method is sometimes preferred to the keratin/protein bonding system, as it is easier to remove and when correctly installed, results in little, if any, strand loss.
Keratin/Protein bonded Hair Extensions: This system is one in which a keratin or protein based glue is used to fuse a hair extension strand with your own hair using heat to melt the glue. The glue sets as it cools down and the strand is secured in this manner. This system is one of the oldest techniques used, and its success is completely dependent on the technician. The technician will determine the quality of the hair used, the recommended thickness of each strand, the colour of bonding glue used, the tidiness of the sectioning and the accuracy of the bonding. This system will look natural if the strands are small and care is taken to avoid a thick, stringy appearance. This system may damage your own hair if the bonding is difficult to break down and remove. Be weary of using “home-made” Keratin systems, they are often less expensive to have installed, but there is no guarantee on the quality of hair or the bonding strength of the glue. This could damage your own hair.
Wefts: These are not recommended for Caucasian hair as the plaited rows made to attach the weft are often damaging to Caucasian hair, due to its finer texture. The client’s own hair is braided into rows. A weft is then hand sewn in a horizontal line around the head to form a crown at the top of the head.
We have personally used and tested Hair Talk Extensions. We trust Hair Talk Tape Extensions not to cause damage, as they are lightweight and each bond is evenly distributed over a 3cm wide section of your own hair. The support offered by the 3cm wide section is much more effective than the support offered by the commonly used 1cm wide sections used in other hair extension techniques. Hair Talk Extensions are easily removed and will not cause damage at the time of removal either. Hair Talk’s Tape bonds are paper thin and lightweight and are incomparable to other Tape Hair Extension brands, which are generally thicker, longer, larger or bulkier.
You can swim with extensions installed, but hair should be tightly plaited in order to avoid knots. Salt water and chlorinated water can dry out any hair and you should rinse your hair with clean water immediately after swimming and a treatment mask should be applied after rinsing to restore softness. Remember, if you have Tape Hair Extensions or Protein/Keratin Bonded extensions you must not apply the treatment to the bonds, but only to the mid-lengths and ends.
With all our Hair Extension Experts brands, we recommend using a shampoo without any silicons, oils, alcohol or conditioners.
Shampoo to avoid with our Hair Extensions : Coloured Hair Shampoo, Moisturising Shampoo, Dry Hair Shampoo, Restoring Shampoo, Brazilian Blow-dry Shampoo.
Shampoos that are recommended for our Hair Extensions : Normal Hair Shampoo, Oily Hair Shampoo, Volumising Shampoo, Deep-cleansing Shampoo.
Conditioners for Hair Extension Experts Extensions: Most conditioners are safe to use on the hair extensions as long as you do NOT apply conditioner on the bonds. NB: Apply conditioner to mid-lengths and ends only. Salon Conditioners are of a higher quality and will give your extensions more shine. We have an excellent range called Evolution that includes an amazing moisturising conditioner that completely transforms Hair Extensions, making them look and feel baby-soft.
Tape Extensions can be used 4 times, each time lasting 2 months before a re-fitment is recommended. That totals at 8 months of wear! You can even take breaks in between re-fitments, as the hair keeps well for years.
Micro-ring hair extensions can be used 4 times, each time lasting 3 months. In total, you get 1 year’s wear.
Remember, if you heat style your extensions without applying a heat protection product, you could cause permanent damage to your hair extensions.
We recommend having your extensions professionally removed by an accredited technician.
Below is a description of some commonly used removal methods by hair extension technicians.
Different hair extension systems are removed using various methods.
- Keratin/Protein Bonds: Usually acetone or alcohol is used to soften these bonds. A cotton swab or a spray bottle is used to apply the acetone or alcohol. A pair of wide nosed pliers are also needed to squeeze the bonds in a squeeze-release motion to break them down until softened. Once bonds are flaky and soft, the technician should be able to gently slide the extension out. If they remain stuck, more alcohol or acetone should be used, as well as the squeeze and release of the pliers.
- Micro-Rings: Micro-ring extensions are removed solely by the use of small pliers. The micro-ring is a small circle that had been squeezed flat. To remove, pliers must be used to squeeze the micro-ring in the opposite direction, in order to reopen it. Once the micro-ring has opened, the micro-ring should be firmly held between two fingers while the hair extensions are gently removed.
- Tape Hair Extensions: Tape Hair Extensions are easily removed with 90% alcohol. The best method is to decant the alcohol into a spray bottle, spray the bond where it is joined to the hair and slowly pick the two tapes apart. More alcohol is sprayed as the two tapes are separated to make sliding them apart easier.
Certain treatments can be used to restore the condition of hair extensions. We recommend a keratin treatment, and the use of specialised care products. Using a good heat protector before heat styling your hair extensions is very important. We also recommend using a hair straightening iron at temperatures no higher than 180° Celsius.
Hair extensions may fall out for a number of reasons.
- Micro-ring hair extensions: In the case of micro-ring hair extensions it is often due to a low-quality micro-ring that does not tighten correctly. It may also be due to a hair extension technician not clamping down on the micro-ring hard enough. If your own hair is breaking off with the micro-ring hair extension then it is possible that the hair extension technician did not use a large enough section of your own hair. Also, the sections have to be made into a small “v” shape, otherwise the hair extensions will not be easily movable.
- Keratin/Protein Bond hair extensions: Keratin/Protein Bond Hair Extensions fall out for two major reasons. The first is the use of a low quality glue. The second, is the use of products on your own hair that have accidentally come into contact with the bonds and have caused them to weaken. These may include conditioning products or oils. There are various systems and glues on the market and it is best to use a salon approved product as many of these glues can be difficult to get out of your own hair and can therefore cause serious damage to your own hair.
- Tape Hair Extensions: Tape Hair Extensions falling out is commonly due to products being used on the bonds that interact with the tape. The only product that should touch the tape bonds is a normal or oily hair shampoo. The tapes are sensitive to oils and conditioners and these products should only be used on the mid-lengths and ends of your hair.
That’s right! All of these celebrities wear or have worn hair extensions at some point. Previously, most of these celebrities used the protein/keratin bond system. Paris Hilton and the Kardashians were then seen to be using the micro-ring bonding system. There have been pictures of damage caused to Kim Kardashian’s hair from the micro-rings. The latest hair extension system being used for celebrities with longer hair is the Tape Hair Extension system. This is because Tape Hair Extensions are a lot more comfortable, they do not look stringy, they do not damage your own hair, and they are quick to install and remove. Madonna and Guiliana are particularly fond of using the Tape Hair Extension system.